Thursday, November 16, 2006

some thoughts on the life of faith

I've been thinking a lot recently about the different approaches we take to the problems of life. Specifically, as a Christian I've been thinking about three angles from which I can come at an issue, and I think the same holds true for churches and groups I've been a part of. For example, if we take the issue of a missionary struggling to raise money for some venture he might think:
  1. I need to call more people and be more convincing. I need to make a website, promotional videos, and a big thermometer poster to keep people informed and aware of the need. Ultimately, I have to feed my family, so we might need to go home or call this thing off.
  2. Jesus was poor so we can be poor. Jesus has called us to this, so we'll do it even if we have to dumpster dive and fast a lot. Maybe God is trying to teach me something.
  3. God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He will provide. He is seldom early but never late. Let's call a prayer meeting.
My tendency is often to assign various grades of spirituality to each approach and judge others accordingly, but I think maybe all three are Biblical, good, and even necessary as we try to live well, not leaving our calling and also not leaving a bunch of human wreckage.

Just for the sake of discussion, I've associated these approaches with three moments in Jesus' life. Unfortunately, I don't have time to write all at once, so I'll do several posts over the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just ran across your blog from the Freemans..its cool to hear about what friends from old are up to and thinking about...